18 Oct 2005
Mid-October Link Dump
notes.txt file is getting out of control; time for a clear-out!
- Ship of Theseus
- I love the fact that a Wikipedia article about a philosophical thought experiment can end up referring to Trigger from Only Fools and Horses.
- Lydia of Purple
- Long URL? Pah, us folks who’ve lived in North Wales are used to long names (and yeah, I can pronounce it).
- Boiled egg fan finds the way to make perfect toast soldiers
- Just make sure you lean your toast before tearing off the soldiers.
- Mixed Media Website Design: Beyond Dreamweaver.
- Dimwitted astroturfing attempt:
This post was deleted for the following reason: OMFG, THIS POST WAS MADE FROM A VIEWPOINT.COM IP ADDRESS
- Thomas Midgley, Jr.
- Two (in)famous inventions and an odd death.
- Call to action: The demise of CSS hacks and broken pages
- Guys, we don’t use hacks for fun. We’ll stop using the hacks when we’re sure you’ve fixed the browser.
- Samy, Their Hero
- Someone managed to unleash a worm over MySpace due to inadequate filtering of tags. It’s horribly difficult to filter out dubious-looking markup (e.g. with a load of regular expressions). A better approach is to parse the tags, remove anything that isn’t explicitly permitted and reconstruct the tags to ensure markup is valid and harmless. Or steer clear of letting users publish raw markup.
- Linotype FontExplorer X
- Could this finally be the Mac OS X equivalent to Windows’ wonderful The Font Thing? I’ll have to give it a try…
- Yahoo! UK & Ireland: How to Suggest Your Site
- It’s now free, but I think that’s more an indication of how neglected the directory is rather than a change in strategy. I might submit this site to see how long it takes to show up.