24 Feb 2005
Finishing Touches: Permalinks
From the start I wasn’t quite comfortable with just using the date/time at the foot of each entry as its permanent link (from the weblog home page), and Mike D.’s comment got me thinking about improvements.
Weblogs use a variety of permalink types:
- ‘#’ (e.g. Scripting News)
- ‘Permalink’ (e.g. Mike Davidson, WebWord)
- Other descriptive text (e.g. Accessify’s
link to this post, clagnut’s
- Date/time (e.g. Simon Willison’s Weblog, A Whole Lotta Nothing)
- Title of the entry (e.g. OK/Cancel)
Some opt for a combination of methods (e.g. SimpleBits, kottke.org), and I’ve now ended up combining 3, 4, and 5. The date/time is still linked, but so is the title text (albeit not visibly so) and a background image within the clickable area acts as an obvious indicator. It’s hopefully a bit more usable than it was.