28 Nov 2004
Reinventing the Wheel
Ultimately I decided the whole learning and experimentation process was as important as the weblog itself; building from scratch means nothing gets taken for granted, every detail is questioned. I’ve already extended my PHP/MySQL knowledge, had to consider the IA issues relating to weblogs, and implemented features such as RSS and update-pinging. That still leaves plenty more to ponder:
- Atom feed
- RSS is a slightly simpler format to hack together quickly, but Atom’s something I’m keen to support.
- Full content feed
- At the moment the RSS feed only contains summaries; this might change at some point.
- Subscribe buttons
- Links could be added to allow people using services such as My Yahoo! and Bloglines to easily subscribe; I’m wary of clutter but might add these.
- I’ll probably add little icons alongside commenters’ names. Erm, once there are some comments, of course.
- I’m not sure about Trackback and Pingback. I suspect I’ll implement one or both, but may try using intelligent referrer-tracking for inbound links.
- Better management tools
- The web interface for adding entries needs extending and improving to cover all weblog-related data and niceties such as uploading images.
- I’ve already got a search working for the rest of the site, it needs extending to cover the weblog before going live.