02 Nov 2004
If you have a Gmail account, make sure you've done the following in Account Settings:
- Choose a good password
- I know, I know, that one’s obvious.
- Use a tough security question
- Unless your father has an unusual middle name it could be guessed within a few dozen attempts, so that question is weak.
- Specify a secondary email address
- This one is important — if anyone tries to access your account by claiming they’ve forgotten the password then this address will be contacted first and they’ll only get to answer the security question if a link in the email is clicked.
I’ve already had 3 break-in attempts (probably by spammers). If I hadn’t set a secondary email address they’d have got to the security question, which for a while wasn’t very strong.